Another family standard for Christmas or New Year, made for years to the original recipe. Only one year, I forgot to buy a jar of apricot jam, and used raspberry instead; even better.
Ingredients – to fit a 10 inch round dish
- 175g/6oz butter
- 75g/3oz sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 350g/12oz self-raising flour (optional – replace 2-4ozs of the flour with ground almonds)
- apricot or raspberry jam
- plenty almonds to decorate – whole, halves, or slices
- beaten egg to glaze
- Rub in flour and butter. Stir in sugar, then egg, lemon juice and zest, vanilla, and enough milk to make a firm dough.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes in fridge.
- Pre-heat oven to 190C/375C/Gas mark 4.
- Use half of the dough to line a greased 10 inch sandwich tin/dish. Spread jam over the base, to about 1 cm from the sides. If the dough rolls easily, roll other half to fit and lay on top, or just cut slices and lay on top; seal any holes.
- Seal edges with your thumb prints.
- Lay halved/whole/sliced almonds in a pattern, and brush top with beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 mins in a moderate oven, until golden. Cut while hot, but leave to cool before your remove the pieces from the dish.