I’d been using drained yoghurt to make my Cheesecakes and Smoked Salmon Parcels for years before I discovered it was actually a Lebanese cheese recipe – the easiest cheese in the world to make. And you can do a few other things with it too.
- 1 (or more!) large tub Greek Yoghurt (NOT low fat; EVER.)
- Line a colander or sieve with muslin (or a clean tea towel, kitchen roll, or coffee filter paper). Put the yoghurt in to drain for at least 24 hours. And that’s it.
- Tip #1 – don’t put too much yoghurt in one colander or sieve. You want as much of the whey to drain as possible.
- Tip #2 – keeping it in the fridge to drain gives a milder labneh – good for the Lemon Cheesecake; leaving it out at room temperature gives a tangier flavour – better for savoury dishes, like Lasagne, Salmon Parcels, and Smoked Fish Paté.
- Tip #3 – leaving it to drain for up to 3 days gives you a labneh firm enough to “pickle”. Yes – Pickled Cheese.