A Yemeni variation on the Baba Ghanouj/Mutabbal of Egypt, Palestine, and Syria. Still with that wonderful smoky flavour – but made without the Tahini paste.
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 very ripe tomatoes, chopped small
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- some fresh parsley or coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil and juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- Roast the aubergine; the skin should be really black and falling off, and the flesh soft and melting.
- Peel the aubergine, chop up the flesh, and mix/mash with the other ingredients.
- Serve as a dip, sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander, with pitta and hummus.