Delicious – from Mark Bittman’s column/Youtube
- Set a saucepan of salted water to boil.
- Toast some fresh breadcrumbs in olive oil until they are crisp – and set aside.
- Put pasta in boiling water – tagliatelli, spaghetti ….. any “long” pasta.
- Fry a large chopped onion in olive oil – about 5 minutes, to be soft and transparent. Add the grated zest of a large lemon, (capers? – I didn’t), and a tin of sardines in olive oil (the best you can get).
- Timing point! At this point, the pasta should be ready, drained (not too thoroughly, so there’s some liquid for a sauce. Worth keeping a little of the pasta water to add if necessary – to get a smooth glisten). Add to the onions and sardines.
- Stir in a few red chilli flakes, or chopped fresh green chilli? Up to you.
- But definitely – a generous handful of fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped, and the breadcrumbs.
- And serve – fast.