Thanks to next door neighbour’s apple tree and the glut of fruit overhanging into my garden 🙂
- Roughly equal weight of onions and apples – this is based on about 500g of each (and fills 4-5 1lb jam jars)
- 300ml red wine vinegar
- 300g sugar (white or brown, or mixed)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- fresh grated nutmeg – ½ tsp
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 1 small green chilli, finely sliced
- generous pinch of salt
- Peel and slice/chop the onions; fry very gently in a little oil for at least 25 minutes … until evenly golden-brown and caramelised.
- Peel and core the apples, and cut into chunks; keep them in a bowl of cold water.
- Put the fried onions, apples, and the other ingredients into a pan, and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for half an hour until the apples are tender and cooked through. Stir frequently.
- When it’s ready, spoon the chutney into hot, sterlised jars, and seal or cap.
- Store in a cool, dark place – best left for 3-4 weeks for the flavour to mellow and meld.