- 200ml vinegar (I like Sarson’s Pickling Vinegar, but take your pick – cider vinegar, wine vinegar, …. ?)
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1-2 small chillis (optional)
- 6-8 whole cloves
- A “thumb” of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1.5kg tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g sugar (white or brown)
- Put all the ingredients, except the sugar, into a sauce pan, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the pot from the ring. I remove the cloves with a teaspoon (cook’s perk … chew the now softened buds). Stir in the sugar to dissolve, put the chutney back to the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon into hot, sterilised jam jars, and seal/cap.
- Store in a cool, dark place – best left for 3-4 weeks for the flavour to mellow and meld.