Superbly fresh sardines at the fishmongers? Winking cheekily as you walk by?
As good a reason to tweak Mark Bittman’s recipe. Stunning.
- Peel and chop an onion; set to fry very gently in a generous glug of olive oil. Add finely chopped parsley stalks and a finely sliced green chilli (or a few red chilli flakes) after about 10 minutes.
- Set a pot of salted water to boil, and cook some spaghetti, tagliatelli, or linguini until just ready.
- Clean and gut 2 fresh sardines per person. Coat with a little flour.
- Drain the spaghetti, not too throughly.
- Add the fried onions and olive oil to the pasta; add grated lemon zest and a good handful of chopped parsley.
- Put the frying pan back to the heat, and fry the sardines fast – no more than a couple of brief minutes each side.
- Plate the pasta, and slip the sardines on top.