Clean, fresh, sweet and crisply tart on the tongue. Xmas pud!
A bit time consuming to make – but worth it.
- 1 cup/250 ml water
- 250g/9oz white sugar
- 450g/1lb fresh or frozen unsweetened blackberries
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- [optional – 2 tbsp fruit liqueur]
- Heat the water and sugar in a saucepan until the sugar is completely dissolved; bring to a rolling boil. Leave to cool – pour into a bowl and pop in the freezer to chill.
- Thaw the brambles if necessary. Put them in a food processor and puree. Press through a sieve into the syrup, and add the lemon juice.
- Mix and pour into a wide baking dish, cover with cling film, and place in the freezer.
- Leave for an hour to an hour and a half, until the puree round the edges has frozen, and the centre of the dish is icy slush. Remove from the freezer, pop into the food processor and whizz until you have an even slush.
- Repeat this at least another couple of times, before filling containers and freezing “for real”.
- Put the container in the fridge about an hour before serving, so that the sorbet has a chance to soften slightly.