Quick. Simple. Savoury. Definitely my favourite recipe for sardines.
The fish steams in the pastry parcel. The pastry complements the oiliness of the fish – and hides the bones from those pesky humans who think fish just shouldn’t have bones! Star Gazy Pie without the eggs, bacon, and faff?
Delicious, simple as it is.
But add the vinegar and piquant spices of this Tomato Chutney? That makes the simple dish quite exquisite.
- 3-4 fresh sardines per person
- puff pastry
- optional (but recommended) – tomato chutney*
- Gut and clean the sardines; pat dry in a paper towel.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry very thinly, and cut into strips wide enough to wrap around the fish leaving the head and tails exposed.
- If using, slip just a little tomato chutney* into the belly cavity of each fish.
- Lay a fish on the pastry, fold over keeping the head and tail clear, and seal like a sausage roll. Glaze with a little beaten egg if you wish.
- Place on a baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes or so, until the pastry is cooked and golden.
* Hmmm – worth trying a wee touch of Piccallili instead? The zing of mustard, spice, and vinegar? Without the “cloy” of a mustard sauce?