Not so rich as “real” ice cream, and with a fresher, sharper flavour.
- 1 500ml carton Greek style natural yoghurt
- 175g/7oz sugar
- 400ml water
- 250ml double or whipping cream
- 750g/1lb 11oz brambles
- OR — strawberries, raspberries, whatever!
- Heat the water and sugar gently until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook to 110-112°C if you have a sugar thermometer. (If not, dip finger and thumb in cold water, then very quickly into the syrup; press finger and thumb together, then pull apart – the syrup should form a fine thread. Or, How to test for stages of Sugar Syrup). Allow to cool.
- Liquidise fruit to a puree. Stir in sugar syrup and yoghurt.
- Pour into a freezer container, and freeze for about an hour and a half – until mushy.
- Beat the cream until it forms soft peaks, and fold into the yoghurt mixture. Freeze.
- Beat the mixture at least twice, at hourly intervals, before finally covering and freezing.