Just as startlingly good as the mashed potato and polenta version, but based on an even more surprising ingredient – a tin of beans! Think cannellini, haricots – or any white bean.
Not only gluten-free, but dairy-free as well.
“Tweaked” from Anna Jones’ Amazing Lemon Cannellini Cake.
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups white haricot beans, cannellini beans, or similar white beans, well-cooked and drained (or 2 400g tins, well-drained)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- a little water
- yellow rind of half a lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/350F/Gas Mark 3, and lightly oil an 8 inch sandwich/springform tin.
- Zest the lemon, and squeeze the juice.
- Drain the beans thoroughly, and process with lemon zest and juice in a food processor until smooth.
- Add eggs, sugar and baking powder, and process until all ingredients are just blended.
- Pour the batter into the tin, and bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a syrup with the sugar, water, and lemon rind; heat together until the sugar is dissolved, then boil for about 5 minutes. Allow to cool and add the lemon juice. Strain and spoon over the warm cake.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.