Pastry’s easy … until you need to provide a gluten-free and dairy-free alternative. Something of a challenge at Christmas time?
But these “sort-of” mince pies turned out much nicer than my normal puff-pastry ones – and disappeared faster.
- 100g/4oz Trex
- 180g/6½oz gluten-free rolled oats
- generous pinch of salt
- 85g/3oz brown sugar
- cinnamon to taste – optional
- zest of 1 orange
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
- Melt the Trex gently in a saucepan; meanwhile, mix the oats, sugar, salt, orange zest, and cinnamon (if using). Mix in the melted Trex.
- Spread half the mixture in an oiled baking dish (mine was 24cm by 14cm. Press in firmly. Spread mincemeat almost to the edges, and spread the other half of the oat mixture on top, patting firmly in.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin, then cut into slices and store in an airtight container.