Last thing on a Saturday visit to Leeds Market – an enormous box of beautiful looking mushrooms. “Gotta go! Only £1.00!” Irresistible.
Except – what do I do with 5lbs of mushrooms? This works, on the same principle as Roasted Preserved Tomatoes.
- 3½ lbs/1.5kg mushrooms
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- grind of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/375F/Gas Mark 4.
- Thickly slice the mushrooms, and arrange them on two baking sheets. Drizzle over the olive oil, sprinkle on the thyme, salt, nutmeg, and black pepper. Stir and turn gently to evenly distribute flavours.
- Roast the mushrooms for 20 to 25 minutes (turning them half way through) until they are beginning to brown around the edges.
- Eat immediately on toast? Or split into portions and freeze. Good for pastas, and any number of other dishes.