A uniquely nutty taste of chldhood, moist, slightly sticky – and very satisfying.
Great “slow-burn” energy for a cycle-ride – almost as good as Soreen! Or for breakfast, with a black coffee.
Ingredients (for a 2lb loaf tin)
- 1½ heaped cups All Bran
- ¾ cup sugar
- 300ml milk
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 250g mixed dried fruit
- Put the All Bran, sugar, and fruit into a bowl; mix in the milk, and leave to soak for at least half an hour. [Covering with cling film and leaving overnight in the fridge works well.]
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Sift in the flour and mix well.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for about 1 hour (insert a clean knife – if it comes out clean, the loaf is ready).
- Turn out of the tin and allow to cool. Delicous served with slatherings of butter.
For variety, interpret the “250g mixed dried fruit” as widely as you dare. Dates and walnuts? Dates stewed with half an orange (including peel)? Why not.
For real sticky satisfaction, replace some of the sugar with treacle.