Practically the same as these preserved lemons – just more colourful and spicier. A quarter lime tucked inside the belly of a mackerel to be baked? Delicious.
- A 0.75l Kilner jar will take 12-15 limes
- ½ cup salt
- 2 tbsps mustard powder
- ½ tbsp red chilli flakes (or similar)
- ½ tbsp turmeric
- ½ tbsp fennel seed and 1 tbsp coriander seed, crushed or roughly ground
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- 1¼ cups sunflower oil
- Wash and dry the fruit; cut into wedges. Mix them with the salt in a glass bowl, and cover with clingfilm. Store in the fridge for a week, turning them occasionally.
- Mix the spices together, add to the limes, and mix well; cover again, and leave for another two to three days in the fridge.
- Wash and sterilise the jar (in the oven for ten minutes, at 100C). Heat the oil in a saucepan until very hot.
- Pack the lime wedges and spices into the hot jar, and pour over the hot oil – with great care!.
- Seal jar, and store for at least a week before using. After opening, best kept in the fridge.