So simple – just five spices, left whole.
Equal quantities of …
- Mustard seed
- Nigella seed (Kalonji)
- and Fenugreek [I use half the amount of this; fenugreek can be a little bitter?]
… all left whole. Make up a batch, 1 tbsp of cumin, mustard, kalonji and fennel seeds, and ½ tbsp of fenugreek. Store in an airtight jar – ready to reach for, whenever, for whatever!
- I first came across the mix in Nigella’s Potatoes with Whole Spices. Plan a damned good hangover to enjoy at its most satisfying!
- Replace the potatoes with cauliflower florets.
- Chicken curry – yup, that works.
- Shrimps? Tried that too … and it works.
- Just a great “reach-for” spice jar.