Go-to Yemeni spice mix for meats, soups, lentils, and so much more. The centuries-old Indian Ocean trade routes, captured in a spice grinder.
So pleased I found this, kids … guess it’ll need a bit of tweaking to get it tasting just like your mum’s, but it’s a start?
- 1/3 cup coriander seed
- 1/3 cup cumin seed
- 1/4 cup black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cloves
- a 3 inch piece of cinnamon bark (roughly equivalent to 2 tsp cinnamon)
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp turmeric
- Optional step – pop the whole spices (NOT the turmeric) into a frying pan. Toast for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat to release the aromatics. Allow to cool.
- Grind until smooth – in a coffee grinder or using a mortar and pestle.
- If you like, run through a sieve to remove larger bits, like cardamom husks. Mix in the turmeric.
- Store in an airtight jar.
- Or break the cinnamon bark into small pieces, and store the whole spices in an airtight jar; roast and grind fresh, as you need.